Poinsettia Poisoning To Dogs-The Myths And Fears
They will poison your pet friends and sicken your children. Poinsettia poisoning to dogs. How many times have you heard this; and how many times I have heard Lynn warned about me sniffing them, I can’t count. How this rumor began, I wonder of maybe some mean rival, but in fact I have read about a case in 1919 involving a child, but you know what? That is the only single, incident documented and it was never proven that a poinsettia was the villainous cause. Hmph…so much for that!.
However, for over 100 years the tales of poinsettia poisoning to dogs have wagged around the terrible threats against this beautiful and sniffable plant. This has been one of those so common myths that even a survey of florists found they thought it to be true! Even my friends at the dog park whisper that I should be careful and not even swish by them; my goodness can you imagine that when the shop is brimming with them! First let me inform you that the bitter taste and sap of the poinsettia does nothing to entice us for a second helping. Not palatable to anyone I know.
But can you guess how many leaves me, my friends both human and not would have to eat to become ill?
The Big Poinsettia Dinner
So how much would we have to eat? Over 500 leaves to get ill. That equates to 10 to 25 plants depending on the size! Geez, that is one heck of a feast and feat for something not tasty. And actually, this can be said of nearly any plant in the shop, with the exception of only a few. Like pansies…I love pansies they are yummy.
Study on top of test has been performed so, since some of you may doubt a greyhound ‘diva florist’, no matter my ancestry and learning; I have listed the studies below for you. So decorate away with these beautiful plants, because me and my friends are a bit more educated than we think you credit us for-a bad taste is a bad taste no matter the creature.
Health centers, veterinary groups, and horticultural organizations surveyed concluded that these pretty plants are not toxic and pose no health threat to children or pets. So, poinsettia poisoning to dogs is really a myth.
Here is the info provided by the Society of American Florists….
>Ohio State University tested various parts of the poinsettia (unfortunately on rats-I protest animal testing but they lived!) and found no toxicity even at large doses.
>The Society of American Florists says no other consumer plant has been tested more than a poinsettia
>The ASPCA Animal Poison Center in Urbana, ILL says it regards poinsettias as having such a low toxicity that it doesn’t even recommend decontaminating animals who have eaten them. There can be gastrointestinal distress but only from eating something alien to our system.
>The AVMA, American Veterinary Medicine Assoc. does not include poinsettias on its list of plants as a threat to animals.
As always, be happy and p.s.…bring home a poinsettia.
Hugs & Leans, Willow