Buy From Local Pet Friendly Stores
With our honor a few years ago, as chosen one of the Merchant Success Story’s on IndependantWeStand.org ; I thought I would again pass on just a few of my itty bitty thoughts about buying local that are easy to do. Sometimes we get caught up hurrying and forget. Actually they are simple and itty bitty, but really huge in impact. It may seem a little more effort and a few more dollars, but in the end it is a super good thing for us all, human and hound alike. Please let me know where you go locally, or if you found a really neat local business that I should know about-especially if it is pet friendly…like ours!
Here are my tips to buy local
* Visit a locally owned and operated business just once per week-support your own town and shelter.
* Look for the Dog Whisperer’s book at a corner book store first not online
* Eat lunch (that gives leftover bags!) at the local sandwich shop down the street not the franchise-visit with your neighbors
* Buy your next gift at a local store-not at the mall or chain store. No long wait and we get home sooner for the walk.
* Buy a toy at that cool local toy store-they have mindful not mindless toys.
* Get your medicine at a local pharmacy-they know your name…and mine!.
* Visit a local nursery for your lawn & garden needs-buy quality not quantity that’s safe for me, the bees, and the butterflies too.
* Supplement your groceries at the local Farmers Market- taste the difference-yum I do.
And from my world….try to visit our local pet stores, businesses, and groomers. I know it is easy to go for a “one stop” of food, treats, and grooming too; but they are big, big, chain stores and that money does not stay in our town much less our animal shelters. If everyone went local then maybe these businesses would be able to contribute for a dog park!
P.S. FYI….My greyhound rescue group used to have Meet & Greets for ex racers needing homes; but now the big box pet chain won’t let us unless we give them your names for marketing purposes. I guess they are not really walking the talk of thinking about rescues-it’s just about the sales, so… sorry Mr. Dog Whisperer Cesar, we adore you but……….. we are not obeying that command!
pp.ss. My fav pet store besides ours of course….. is Positively Pets right here in New Windsor-pet friendly too!